マイブログ リスト

2011/01/02

Nothing remains but Mutability

Hi,
Let me share my favorite poem by Percy Shelley today.
Well, before that, I'd talk about how I am. I still have not totally gotten over the accident yet. This is my bad habit all the time. Especially days like today when I cannot go out, I tend to let myself sink in a deep thought. It works in a good way sometimes, but not all the time.
This poem is about changes in our lives. Things are constantly changing and nothing stays the same. This is a good reminder for me that, this time too, I will get out of this place sooner or later.

Here it is:
"Mutability" 
Percy Bysshe Shelly

We are as clouds that veil the midnight moon;
How restlessly they speed, and gleam, and quiver,
Streaking the darkness radiantly!--yet soon
Night closes round, and they are lost for ever:

Or like forgotten lyres, Whose dissonant strings
Give various response to each varying blast,
To whose frail frame no second motion brings
One mood or modulation like the last

We rest.--A dream has power to poison sleep;
We rise.--One wandering thought pollutes the day;
We feel, conceive or reason, laugh or weep;
Embrace found woe, or cast our cares away;

It is the same!--For, be it joy or sorrow,
The path of its departure still is free:
Man's yesterday may ne'er be like his morrow;
Nought may endure but Mutability.

Cited from The Norton Anthology of English Literature

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿